Pages

Share it

Monday, September 30, 2013

Home of Love (Orphanage) in Tuburan Cebu




When we arrived at the Home of Love, at first we were not sure if it was the one, the center was on top of the hill, there was a huge gate that looked like it has seen better days.  I was under the impression that perhaps they have another gate that they use in another part of the center but then we were greeted by a security guard and asked us if we were there to see Sr. Margaret, apparently they were expecting us.  Unfortunately Sr. Margaret was out of town so there was another pink nun that welcomed us.
There was a huge parking space just as you enter. Then there about over 50 steep steps leading to the center.  When we reached the top of the steps, I was panting like crazy as if my tongue would drop.  Haven't had enough adventure of the day? huh! The nun was already there waiting for us with a sincere smile.  Like Sr. Margaret she was very soft spoken and sound very fragile.  I wondered if they all are and I wonder if they ever know how to curse or have they even once in their lives.  I'm crazy to have thought about this.
Sr. Margaret with one of the boys
So, she showed us around. Loquito and I were lead inside.  We were surprised to discover that the center holds about 30+ kids and some rescued women from bars and streets.  Some of them were forced to become underage prostitutes and became drug dependent while some of them were forced to marry at young age and of course had children at 14 or 15 years old.  My god, at that age I was still collecting sandrio stationeries and doing scrapbooks in school while these girls were forced to grow up beyond their age.
We also found out that there was a fence around the center so high that it was impossible to climb if one would think of escaping.  And the windows and doors have grills on them.  At some point I was compelled to ask about it, Sr. Mary ( i thought her name was - i think they are all called Sr. Mary and then another name for example my friend Sr. Mary Margaret), told us that some women and children would escape to go back to their old life.  The center is isolated and there is nothing much to do, so they would run away, some of them were addicted to their life before the center so, about 2-3 months from their rescue they would attempt to run away, hence the fence and grills.  It sounded very sad.
Home of Love children
We were showed their rooms, some ladies with 3 kids and they are sharing in one tiny room like a small family. We saw their facilities, they also have a chapel inside, some classroom and a library with books that have seen better days and some learning tools for both kids and adults.  They also have some collection of cartoon movies for the kids which meant a lot to those little angels, they were so bubbly telling me a summary of fairy tales they saw and I would tell them some part of it, they would look at me wide eyed. One asked me if I also grew up there since I know most of their movies, I smiled and told them that I was once a child like them, so we had the same activities, watched the same fairy tales.  And their smiles were contagious. It was the best picture that I have in my mind that day. The picture of the white beach and blue sky of bantayan island was nothing compared to the picture of these children smiling and giggling in front of us.  At some point they also gave us a dance number which really entertained us most of the afternoon. And then, they were all over Loquito, they all want to be held, he would toss them in the air and catch them like a ball with his huge hands. When we were outside just sitting by the wooden shed, they were all clinging to him like a chinese lucky buddha having to many children all over him.  I was surprised it didn't bother him one bit. There was a joy somehow in his eyes that told me he was enjoying that moment too as I did.  Sr Mary was telling us that the kids always like to play with male visitors, perhaps because they are all women in the center and kids long to have a male figure or a father and we all understood this.
It was 5pm and we should be leaving, we have to drive back to the city, how long? we have no clue.
We said goodbye to the children and promised them that we will be back one day, we also took note of what we can do to help them.
Home of Love children
Sr. Margaret had been in touch with us and shared with us their project which Loquito and I will look at ways how we can help.  They are establishing a livelihood project for the women at Home of Love so that they will be able to stand on their own without subjecting themselves into going back to prostitution.

For any one interested to help for this project, you may visit this link.
Home of Love Livelihood Project
Mary Queen of Heaven Missionaries 




     

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ioquita. I would love to know more about The Home of Love Orphanage. I live in the USA and my wife is from Cebu. I have friends in Tuburan Cebu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paul, its good to hear that you are interested to know more about Home of love. what exactly would you like to know about it? I would be happy to supply you the direct email add of Sr. Margaret or you can also visit the link to Mary Queen of Heavens Missionaries it has more info about it.. otherwise I would be more than happy to email you for more information. God Bless!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete

Popular Posts