Pages

Share it

Monday, September 30, 2013

Leaving Bantayan Island for Home of Love


After our very peaceful and sunny beach day in Bantayan Island, we decided to cut our trip short due to the weather report forecasting strong winds the following day or possibly in the next couple of hours.  So, we decided to go back to Cebu City on the next ferry out.  As we were getting ready, "Kulut" (the guy who rented us his motorbike) - came to see us, he was just coming by to check if we need his assistance however, he found out that we were planning to leave.  Although, not in the least happy but he was very understanding and was very helpful getting us to the pier and bought tickets.  We managed to get on a ferry on the last minute, and I guess people rely on weather forecast more in Bantayan Island coz believe it or not - the ferry was full.
Kota Beach

The sea was calm when we left Sta. Fe Port and soon enough we realized that the ferry we were on was slower than the one we came by with however it is bigger compared to the previous.  Half way through the channel the wind picked up and the boat started to rock.  I was a bit scared but pleased that we made the right decision of going back.  I've overheard from the locals chatting behind us that the wind usually picks up in the afternoon and that it is wiser to get on the slower ferry, it is bigger and safer.  I was contented to hear this despite that I felt nauseated the last half of the journey.  When I saw the pier from a distance, I felt relieved.  The ferry - although slightly bigger but it was the same smell of smoke and engine roaring and hammering your head the whole time, much worse coz the floor we were sitting or standing on constantly vibrates from the engine.  It maybe because the boat was large and therefore uses a bigger engine? whether this is right or wrong - the vibrating adds up to my motion sickness. I didn't really know how I survived the trip without complaining or better yet - without getting really sick but I'm happy I manage to keep my cool.

Built like a tank!
We got off the ferry as soon as possible when it we were told it was ok to leave the boat.  Loquito - being so tall and built like a tank, he managed to pull me and our bags passed all passengers rushing to the exit. Size really does matter! As soon as we got out, we collected the car from the covered parking space.  I was praying the drunk guy isn't there, tough luck he was, I guess my prayers didn't reach God in time.  We settled our parking fee and I had Loquito handle the guy.  Hell! - drunk or not - he should be intimidated by the man that's twice his size and also very good at pretending he doesn't speak English! hahaha..this does the trick most of the time.

When we left we decided to drive through a different route than when we got there, and also too that we will visit the Home of Love orphanage.  It was something we been wanting to do since our vacation begun.  According to google map, from Hagnaya Port to Tuburan was 47 kilometers - I hope its not a lie! Coz it doesnt sound like it was that far.  However, it was the first time we took that road, and also the first time to visit the center in Tuburan and we have no clue how to get there but to rely on google map directions.  We drove for about half an hour and I realized we were running out of fuel. I was getting really worried, the road we were on  was mountainous, going up - down - blind curves - and the houses were far apart, there were hardly any people on the street and some road doesn't even have any visible houses by the road side and it stretched on for a few kilometers, let alone a gasoline station out of nowhere.
according to google map

Loquito told me to drive slower so we could conserve the fuel, should be enough to get us to Tuburan town center.  As we got nearer we can see some people walking on the street and I felt relieved, that it felt like we were back in civilization and less of the mountains scenery.  We checked for the gasoline station right away and then we asked around how to get to the Home of Love.  Apparently the orphanage is famous as Pink Sisters coz the nuns that run the center wears Pink!  So after, asking a couple of people we found a narrow road leading to the center.  It was a very steep climb, I was told by the Nuns to leave the car at the foot of the path but Loquito wanted to take it up, so he took over the wheel.  There was no way in hell I could make it up if I were to drive, the center was position on top of the hill. When we got there, indeed we were greeted with the Pink Nun and a lot of lovely children.  Although it felt like we were driving forever and we started to feel tired, but when we hear the kids laugh, it was all we needed to feel good again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts