Pages

Share it

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Night Diving at Palm Beach, Marigondon


As a child, I remembered Marigondon as a weekend refuge from the city life for me and my big family. This is where we usually spend Saturdays, Sundays and all the public holidays specially when the tide is high. We all love the sea so much that we would stay in the water from the time we arrive til its time to go. I would get prune hands it would hurt all night but as a child, it never mattered then.
nudibranch - looking so fragile
However now that I'm crazy about scuba diving, this is how I spend most of my time in Marigondon lately. I didnt realized until now that it has a very vibrant marine life. No matter how many times I dove in this place, there is always something new to see or discover every time. Recently a friend of mine has been asking me to buddy with him for night diving almost every day. And like day time scuba diving there is always something new that we discover. Only that it is more interesting. Night diving is always a different experience, most creatures that you encounter during night time you may not see them during the day, ie. cuttlefish, brittle star, etc. But most of all, we usually feel more adrenalin as it can be a scary thing diving in darkness. I remember my first night diving experience, I almost peed in my wet suit when I was staring at the wall that feels like there is something that will appear ready to eat me alive anytime.
frogfish - so ugly looking yet so beautiful!!!
In one of our dives, we saw a white nudibranch with yellow highlights, which I havent seen before and a frogfish which I thought doesn't exist in this area but with a stroke of luck we saw it a couple of times now. I wish that the local government would protect this area from boat anchors and dynamite fishing, so we can all enjoy this gift of nature. God I love this place and night diving here makes it my top spot in Cebu and Mactan Island. This has become my favorite diving site in the area now, however you have to watch out for the tides, the current can be nasty when its going low. The best time is when the tide is going high or during high tide.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts